Monday, April 14, 2014

Why Food's at the Heart

























A few weeks ago I renamed this space Food’s at the Heart. I really wanted to reengage with this space after being mostly absent from this blog since, well, its inception. I started this blog March of 2007 - Cuisine at its Best I would call it. It was to be a launch pad for my as yet started personal chef business. That business never got the depth of attention it required. Since then my love of food, though, has deepened.  I love that food -that which sustains us physically- has the ability to connect, to nourish, to heal, to help and to tell a story. Food and all that it connects to are constantly stirring about in my mind.

Alongside my deepening love of food, I've discovered that I love storytelling - especially the non-fiction true-to-life storytelling. And really that's why I'm such a die-hard blog reader (and memoir reader and public radio listener). I enjoy the art of weaving together thoughts into words. I especially love storytelling when someone else is doing it - thus my previous lack of commitment to this blog. But I constantly have food (and other) stories stirring about in my mind.  

As an introvert I am very much at home in my head. To a fault actually. And so here I am embracing the maxim - I write, so that I know what I think.  And for me food is at the heart of many of the issues that I believe are important.

Another string that has pulled me toward blogging more regularly is my quest for "that" mythical blog. You know "that blog" - the one where its writer has an uncanny ability to type your very thoughts, post after post and you see chunks of yourself strewn about in her writing. For one thing, I've always been keenly aware of the lack of color in my Feedly feed. I wondered why I hadn't come across black food writers blogging about food and sustainability or food equity. So I Googled "Black bloggers" and "black food bloggers." I was happy to find a few to follow but even still, I haven't found anyone (of any stripe) writing exactly what I want to read or writing exactly what I think is important. And it occurred to me (in a well-duh-moment) that if I wanted to find "that" blog, I would have to write "that blog." So here I am.

If you've stopped by I'd love for you to say "hi" in the comments. Have you found that there's that ONE thing that ties together your various interests?


2 comments: