Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sunday Prep Checklist

So I'm joining the Prep Sunday train.  I've wanted to jump aboard for several months now, but I've failed to plan ahead.   Or rather I "plan" in my head and then never execute said "plan."  A written plan should help, so below I've developed a prep checklist to help get my head in gear.

What is Prep Sunday and why is it appealing to me?
The whole idea of Prep Sunday is to prepare some ingredients and or meals for the week ahead.   I want to be a meal planner but I am not very good at it because I like the creativity of creating a meal on a whim using what I have.  I hope that prepping some ingredients ahead of time will give me the building blocks to eat well yet still spontaneously throughout the week. 

In preparation for the preparation...
Spend no more than 15 minutes reviewing the checklist and consulting PinnedFeedly tagged and other wise saved recipes.  Choose specific foods/meals that you'd like to eat in the coming week - think eating the rainbow, veggies at EVERY meal and protein rich snacks to balance blood sugar.  Make your grocery list. Go shopping (perhaps one or two days before prep day).  

Beginning with clean/clear kitchen counters/sink and a list of what/how you're prepping each food, go to town prepping.  I think if all items on the checklist are executed, it would take roughly 2 childless hours also know as 3+ child-full hours.  This is a perfect use of naptime.

PREP SUNDAY CHECKLIST

[  ] Choose 2 MEAT, FISH or CHICKEN to:
take  OUT OF FREEZER (if applicable)

[  ]Choose 3+ VEGGIES to:
ROAST: carrots, beets, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, onions and peppers
CHOP: celery, peppers, carrots, cucumbers

[  ]Choose 2+ FRUITS to:
WASH (&CHOP) for ready to eat ease: bananas, oranges, berries, pineapple, mango, local in season fruit

Clean produce tip: fill your sink half way with water and then add a good pour of white vinegar (1 part vinegar to 10 parts water scientifically proven to kill 90% of germs),  rub, rub, rub then lay fruits/veggies on a clean towel to dry.  Berries should not sit in vinegar water for too long and they must be completely dry before storing.

[  ]Choose 1+ GRAIN to:
SOAK and/or COOK: brown rice, quinoa, bulgur, wheat berries, millet, amaranth

[  ]Choose 1+ PROTEIN SNACK to:
MAKE: sunbutter stuffed dates, lara bars/balls, hard steamed eggs, cheese cubes

[  ]Choose 1 double batch BREAKFAST MEAL to:
MAKE: oatmeal, baked oatmeal, breakfast burritos (egg & {sweet}potatoes), baked eggs with greens, quiche, fruit on the bottom yogurt cups (chopped fruit with honey + plain yogurt), granola

[  ]Choose 1 double batch DINNER MEAL to:
MAKE: soup, casserole, veggie burgers, fried rice/quinoa, hearty grain salad, roast chicken

[  ]Choose 1+ SAUCE/DIP to:
MAKE: pesto, tapenade, soy maple sauce, tzatziki, hummus, garlicky tahini kale dressing

I made a printable GOOGLE DOC of the checklist to use each week.

I'm off to get started.  I'll report back next week.  Happy Sunday Prepping!

Two of my favorite bloggers are also Sunday Prepping:
Kelsey over at Rising Shining
Tracey of Shutterbean fame





No comments:

Post a Comment